Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Argentina: Lugar con Baños Complicados

My day started disgustingly early for me today. I woke up at 8 (which sucked after an exhausting night) so that I could eat and get to the bank early so that I could FINALLY change my money. I got to the bank, found the line I needed to be in... and was told I had to be a member of the bank in order for them to change my money. Not a problem! As I knew a 'Casa de Cambio' (exchange house) that was close to the school I was going to at 9. The best part was I only had to wait 15 minutes for them to tell me that they couldn't change it unless I was a member of the bank (and I'm not being sarcastic... really, a 15 minute wait time for disappointing news is kind of like a God send here). So I walked to the exchange house, changed my money (which p.s. goes in favor for the United States: 4.12 to 1 [#winning!]) and then was off to Unviersidad Congresso for the next day of orientation where we went over the Spanish Diagnostic that we would be taking today, as well as the classes that were available in the various schools/departments that we had access to. Afterwards, a group went with Sabrina again to purchase cards that would put minutes on our phones after which two of my friends and I walked home together because we lived in the same area. They actually helped me discover a new way home which I think is quicker and along busier streets (which are good for shops and light for when it's getting dark).

After another great lunch consisting of baked chicken and delicious mashed potatoes, I took a siesta (which is a practice that we really need to adopt in the United States) and then I went to Universidad Nacional de Cuyo where the Mendoza Crew took our Spanish Diagnostics. It consisted of one 50 minute written portion and a 10 minute oral portion. I don't think that I did too poorly on the written portion and there were only a few questions that I felt confused about. The oral went about the same. I had to tell the proctor about where I was from, my school, what I was studying, the classes I wanted to take, and then I had to describe a picture to her, what I think happened, and the colors within it. Like I said, I don't think I did too poorly and we'll find out our groups (there are four possible classes to be placed into) in about 2 days. After I took my oral portion, I decided to use the bathroom before trekking back to my house. I thought it would be easier and save me some discomfort. I was wrong. Why? Well let me tell you...

First, there isn't toilette paper in the stalls, it's outside the stalls and there is only one dispenser so apparently you have to take what you think you need before you go. Awkward? I think 'yes'. Second, they made the handle to flush the toilette impossible to find. I spent a good 4 and 1/2 minutes looking for the flushy lever, actually leaving the stall to see if there was some kind of 'Master Flush' button outside the stall along with the 'anticipate-your-own-needs' toilette paper dispenser. All I found was the soap dispenser. I returned to the stall where I eventually found a button hidden on the side of the toilette that I had to both press and hold because all the button did was release water, so you have to release enough water to push your "business" down the pipes. You'd think my my ordeal with the bathroom would end with my victory over the toilette, but you'd be wrong. The next hurdle was washing my hands. Now, I had already found the soap (remember, I thought it was the 'Master Flush') but when I pushed the button at the sink for water , it came out at such a rapid stream, I was actually afraid to put my hands under it for fear of physical pain. What's more is that the water splashed of the porcelain sink so much that it seriously wet my jacket, leading me to my new theory that you are supposed to hold your hands up to the back-splash instead of using the direct stream like a normal human being. Just when I thought there was nothing more this bathroom could throw at me, I approached the dryer. I could almost hear it laughing at me as I tried to get it to release hot air to dry my hands. For the record, no amount of movement will get it to activate. It will dry your hands when, and if, it damn well pleases. All you get to do is hold your hands beneath it and hope that it's feeling generous today. Just as I was swearing to never use this bathroom again no matter what affliction of the bowel or bladder I had, I was reminded that we would be having Spanish classes in that building. Of. Course.

When I got home I just relaxed. A few friends and I had made plans to go out later, but the second I sat down in my room, I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. I passed the time by writing parts of this post and then watching random videos on YouTube (some in Spanish, I am trying to learn over hear) and then went to dinner, which consisted of chicken w/ an egg on it (an odd combination but satisfying nonetheless). After dinner, I went to the bathroom to "freshen up" and nearly locked myself in the freaking bathroom! The lock wouldn't move for me to leave, and I began to panic because I couldn't remember how to say "Somebody help me! I've locked myself in your bathroom! Call the Power Rangers!" en Español. Is this county trying to tell me something? What the heck Argentina! I definitely think I need to go to bed!

Tomorrow is a free day because we have 'entrevistas' (interviews) regarding our classes and mine isn't until Friday. I think a few friends and I are going to figure out the Micros tomorrow... wish us suerte!

No comments:

Post a Comment