Friday, July 29, 2011

¿Podemos tomar 'Nom-Noms? is not a real question in any language...

It's FREEZING in Mendoza today! The forcast is calling for rain and snow! What!? I was under the impression that all of South America was a year-round paradise! Who lied to me??? Anyway, after breakfast, I went to get ready and had to use the bathroom. Now, for some reason, bathrooms have not been my friends for the last couple of days. Surely they have had their fun with me and are content to let me just coexist with them. False. As I was getting ready, the toilette decided that I wasn't good enough to flush it. Great. What kind of awkward conversation starts with, "Thanks for breakfast!... I broke your toilette..." I went to my host mom and told her that the toilette wasn't functioning, thinking this was going to be all kinds of uncomfortable, but to my surprise she tells me, "Yeah, it does that sometimes."... excuse me? Apparently, sometimes the toilette just doesn't feel up to filling itself with water. Maybe it gets tired? Anyways, what you need to do is take the little trash bin next to the toilette, fill it with water, and then just throw the water into the bowl so that the water pressure pushes everything down... So now, I have a lazy toilette to go with my petty lock. Next thing I know, I'm going to be dealing with a passive-aggressive sink. AWESOME ARGENTINA! So far I'm like 0 for 3...

Moving right along, I had my interview about the classes that I wanted to take at 10:40 this morning, then went into the city with some friends so that we could go to the bank and run a couple of errands. After I got home, I just relaxed for a bit, before eating lunch, which was a warm soup with rice and vegetables and meat. It was just what I needed on a cold day like today. I wanted to siesta today, but I just wasn't feeling it, so I just relaxed on my computer. My host mom came into my room a bit later and told me that I had to try maté, a very Argentine drink. It's like tea, and you sip it through a metal straw. It's a both bitter and sweet at the same time... but it's warm, which is good on days like today. But the jury is still out.

I left for my next day of orientation at Universidad Congresso which was held for all of the international students who would be attending the University for the coming semester. There were students from the United States (hollah!), Germany, France, and Colombia and Mexico (#cheaters #allyoupeoplegoingtoEngland/Scotland/Ireland). The French and German students were particularly impressive, speaking not only their native languages, but Spanish and English to us Amurrikans... show-offs. Anyhooo, we had a brief orientation, after which we had a demonstration of a cultural dance, the samba, and the tango. Then we broke off into little groups to just talk and get to know one another. My group had two French students and one German student who were really cool. After our getting to know you session (where they had the best desserts, i.e. dulce de leche sandwiches) we made plans with the French students to go out later that night.

At dinner, I helped my host family figure out whether to use Day-Quil or Ny-Quil (they only had a box w/ English instructions) It feels good to be needed. After dinner, we made plans to go out. I'm going to end my blog post here, because I don't know how late I'll be out and everyone knows Brendan at any hour past 12:00am will not be a happy blogger. Nos vemos mañana.

2 comments:

  1. Laughing hysterically. Hang in there you'll show that bathroom who's in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, that comment about the students going to England, Scotland, and Ireland being cheaters felt very pointed (I am fully prepared to be hostile and be told that eating pasta is not appropriate because we just ate ;] ). Second, I find it hilarious that you are fighting with the bathrooms out there. Make sure you learn to say "Call the Power Rangers" for next time (I expect you to teach me how to say it when you get back). Third, I am insanely jealous of your amazing adventures...and the fact that you get to take siestas. :]

    ReplyDelete