Saturday, July 23, 2011

You should wear pants and maybe... a shirt.

Day two in Buenos Aires does not disappoint! After a quick breakfast, Team Mendoza packed onto the bus and traveled all over the city... literally! We visited the heart of thel city were we saw the Catederal Metropolitana, Casa Rosa (the equivalent of our White House), and their "Congresso". Then we took the bus and visited La Boca, which had buildings that were painted all different colors, Puerto Madero, and Recoleta before breaking for lunch at the amazing Il Ballo del Mattone which further solidified that I would, in fact, be adding an additional 15lbs before returning to the US.  They had an amazing pasta w/broccoli and mushroom sauce and a delicious tiramisu. Greatest thing EVER!

Next, we walked through Palermo, where there were tons of shops and street vendors selling so many different things, ranging from baby toys, to coffee mugs. The city was so alive and the streets were packed with people and cars. I honestly don't know how both manage to be so aggressive on the street and not have a ton of accidents!

At our second orientation, we discussed different methods of culture shock and the many ways Argentines do things differently. Apparently, they like to stare at people who interest them. SCORE! I can be my normal creeper self and pass as an Argentine! We also discussed how Argentines are not fans of clothing and will wear very little when they go out, leading one girl to ask what typical "out clothing" looks like, to which our advisor replies, "You should wear pants and maybe... a shirt." I'm definitely in love with this country.

For dinner tonight we were allowed to go out and choose for ourselves. My group of people ended up at a cute little pizzaria around the corner, with good food and good service. I'm getting excited because tomorrow we leave for Mendoza and then the real adventure begins. I'll meet my host family and get used to the neighborhood that I'll be living in for the next five months! Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a glorious and fabulous time. I've got your skype address, so beware.

    Uncle Rex from NJ

    ReplyDelete