Saturday, July 30, 2011

Have you met my new friend Balto?

It was so cold today that there were actually flurries falling from the sky all day. Evil little pieces of frozen water taunting me and reminding me of the hot weather in Colorado that I am not experiencing as a part of my summer. Bastards. Anyway, I woke up at 11:30 today after my long night of drunken debauchery and wild bar hopping... yeah, it totally happened... Breakfast passed without any sort of significance, as did lunch, which were only about an hour apart. I wanted to take a siesta but my body apparently thought that I had had enough rest and I decided to wander the streets, which are near deserted during this time. I walked around trying to find something/some place new in the city to enjoy. I really do like walking through this city. There is just something about it that makes the time fly, and the more familiar I become with it, the more I enjoy it. On my way back, one (of the millions) of stray dogs in the city decided that I was interesting and began following me. Everywhere. For an hour. Nothing I did would get the dog off my tail (hooray pun!). At times, it would wander in front of me and look back at me as if it was showing me the way home. I'm sure it thought it was real clever... until it was almost hit by a car. Not so clever now, are ya?

When I got home, I had to slip through the door so that my new friend, Balto as she is to now be known, wouldn't follow me inside. She was a pretty dog and all, but this was so not a "mommy-can-I-keep-it?" situation. I relaxed for another hour until I got a text from my friend Bryan asking if I wanted to do anything. We decided to hit up a cafe as a way to combat the cold and get out of our houses. As I was walking to meet up with him I heard something sneak up behind me... Balto had found me again. How was that possible! With as many dogs as there are in this city, you never see the same one twice! and now the same dog is following me! I introduced my new friend to Bryan, and she accompanied us to the cafe that was closest. Inside, we, and another friend we had seen along the way (James), sat down and enjoyed cappuccinos, cafe con leche, and dulce de leche cupcakes (yes, I said it, cupcakes). While we were talking, James looks out the window and says "Hey, look at that dog." Sure enough, Balto is just walking back and forth outside cafe, right next to the window we were sitting next to. Bryan called it companionship. I called it stalking. We paid for our snacks and walked to a nearby store (sans-Balto) to look at boots and outdoors-y clothes. On the walk back, guess who creeped up on us. Simba! just kidding, Balto... This dog has officially been following me around for 4 hours! She followed us down the main street (once more, almost getting hit by a car [girl really needs to knock that off]), and followed us up until Bryan's house, were I was able to get her to follow him instead of me (Am I a bad person for feeling relieved that I got her off me by saddling her with a friend?.. nah). I've decided to just relax about the entire situation for now. After all, books, movies, and songs have been written about these kinds of occurrences... maybe it was pure coincidence. However, if she is waiting for me, looking through my window, when I wake up tomorrow, we will officially have a problem.

For the rest of the night I decided to stay in. I actually did want to go out, but it was so freaking cold that I decided that my only semi-freezing house would make for a good substitute. After a satisfying dinner, I stayed in my room and relaxed on my computer. A warm shower is the best thing for days like today, so that is exactly what I took. It really was nice to just soak in the warmth and get ready for bed. I thought that this warm shower was the perfect end to a day without any major incident... and then I went to turn the shower off, and the handle fell off....

Jesus. H. Christ.

In my warm, relaxed state I had forgotten one, crucial detail about my life: Argentine bathrooms hate me. There is, of course, no way that they would let me have a happy day. That would just be wrong. God, sitting on his La-Z-Boy up in the sky, better be laughing his ass of right now, because somebody should be enjoying this giant cosmic joke.

Whatever. The day is done, and it's bed time for Brendan. Tune in tomorrow, when the city pigeons decided to reenact a scene from "Birds" and the bathroom sink tries to drown me! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment