Thursday, July 28, 2011

That's Like Chocolate!... No, no it's not...

Since today was a free day, I got to wake up whenever I wanted. It was a good feeling. I woke up around 10, had breakfast, and met up with a friend from the program. We walked around the main part of the city for an hour or so and then walked to the IFSA office to look at classes and the books that they offered. Afterwards, we left for lunch and siesta making plans to meet up with some more IFSA students in the city. Lunch was good as usual, as was my siesta! Our little group of people met up at a cafe and decided to have a little snack there. There were a lot of options that all looked good. I settled on empenadas with ham and cheese, but they didn't have ham or cheese anymore, so the waitress gave me more options. I couldn't understand a bunch of them, but one of them sounded like "choco" to which my friend Bryan said "Oh that's like chocolate!" Ok, I'll get the weird sounding chocolate empenada. Just as the waitress left, Lian, another IFSA student, looks over and says, "Wait, I don't think that's chocolate... I think it's a vegetable..." Well, life is an adventure so I decided to just take whatever they give me. It actually didn't end up being bad at all. It was like mix of vegetable and was a bit sweet, so overall I'd count this as a win for Brendan!

After the cafe, we walked around the city for a bit looking at all of the street vendors that have some genuinely cool stuff, eventually stopping into a supermarket to buy a bunch of necessities. Afterwards, Bryan and I decided to take a micro back to our houses. This was an exciting affair because neither of us had ever taken one before and weren't sure where they all went, but my host family did tell me that the 31 and the 32 stop close to the house, so I decided to start there! We boarded and rode the micro like pros, only faltering when we had to get off (there are two doors, and you need to get off the one in the back, not the front... next time!). At home, I got an email with the results of my Spanish Diagnostic. I was placed into the top group! This should help me get into the type of volunteer work that I want to do.

Dinner has failed to disappoint here, and afterwards some of the Mendoza crew wanted to go out later. I was down to go until they changed the time to 11:30. I'm still getting used to everything and I have an interview tomorrow about classes so... I'm gonna say no. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment