Monday, July 25, 2011

Walk the city, see the city, BE the city!

Today was a holiday here in Mendoza in honor of their patron saint, so everything was closed and no one had to go in to work. After breakfast, I walked around Parque San Martin so that I could familiarize myself with the area that I'm staying in. It is just like a park in Colorado, and it felt like Fall in Denver! After walking around and acquainting myself with the various streets I found Universidad Nacional de Cuyo which is one of the schools that I will be attending. After walking around some more, I happened upon another student in my program with her host parents. It was cool seeing somebody familiar out and about in the city. Her host parent directed me back to the correct street (I was only a little bit lost and I couldn't see any street signs so the map I had was doing nothing for me) and then I arrived back at the house in time for lunch.

After lunch, I had my first siesta. In Mendoza, the entire city stops for a few hours and everybody takes a nap and, well, what can I say? When in Mendoza, do as the Mendocinians do! After my nap, I went out again, this time looking for Universidad Congresso. It wasn't labeled on my map, and my host mom only knew the general direction so this one really was a kind of adventure. I got a little lost again, but asked a security guard in one of the buildings that I was closest to and she told me that it was the next street over. Success! I know knew the location of the two schools that I was attending. After basking in my glory and marveling at how amazing I am to orient myself in a foreign city all by my lonesome, I decided to explore the street I was on (San Martin) because it had a lot of interesting looking cafes and shops. I walked along a few other streets before making my way back to my house and along the way I saw two more students in my program! The first was with her host mom, and while we were talking, another student came up to us having seen us as she too was familiarizing herself with the city. We compared stories about host families and how overwhelmed we were, and then went our separate ways as it was getting dark.

For dinner, we had a delicious combo of soup and chicken. Conversation consisted of beliefs in God, the family, and the differences between Argentina and Chile (my host mom is Chilean). I'm getting confident because I'm able to understand more of what they say and am able to give my thoughts and opinions quite well (at least I hope it's quite well!). What I love most is that when my host mom and her friend have a conversation, they mostly look at each other but still make sure that every now and then I pipe in. I love it because there is no pressure to speak, or make small talk in a language that I'm not fluent in, and it gives me a chance to just listen and get used to the cadence of their speech.

Tomorrow is the first day with the program and we'll be having an orientation at Universidad Congresso for a few hours. Afterwards, I'm sure a group of us will go and do something in the city, but first things first; I need to change my money already! After that, I need to get a phone and then I'll finally be "settled" here in Mendoza.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your tales of adventure make me want to be in Scotland already lol it sounds like so much fun

    ReplyDelete