Monday, August 15, 2011

It’s been a while since I got awkward looks on public transportation

Today was just a day of difficulties. First, I woke up at 12:04pm. I have never woken up that late in any time zone and I ended up having to scramble around like a maniac in order to get ready for class, so here’s hoping I don’t do that again. Like I said, there was tons of scrambling as I had only an hour to get dressed, pack a lunch, and walk to classes. In my rush, I didn’t have enough time to talk to Sylvia (my host mom’s friend whom I haven’t seen since week one). I really missed her and would have liked to talk to her, but I was too busy shoving an apple (my breakfast) down my throat and my foot in a shoe to really say too much to her. I made it to the building in time to eat my lunch (really breakfast) with everyone else before we headed into class. It was actually a fun class today as we sang (yes, out-loud sang) songs by Shakira, Alejandro Sanz , and Bacilos. Things were going we until a girl (I won’t name names, but she likes to bring a Kindle to class) complicated the directions of a particular work assignment causing everyone to get confused and having us go into the lesson long after the break for clarification (no, but really girl… you’re like 0 and 3).

After class, I waited with some friends in the café because we had a little less than two hours until our next class (Argentine Literature) at Cuyo and none of us wanted to walk home, just to walk back. When time finally came for class, we walked up, found our seats, and prepared ourselves to not understand a damn thing that was going on. We prepared wisely. The entire class flew right on over our heads as the teachers spoke a kilometer a minute over topics in Argentine History that affected their Literature (topics that we were obviously unfamiliar with). We sat the full two hours trying to pick bits and pieces out that we could understand and, after about an hour and a half of this, I ultimately decided to spend the rest of the time translating word for word the Spanish songs that we had sung in class earlier with my Spanish-English dictionary. My rationale was I was probably going to absorb the same amount of the lecture as if I was paying attention, and at least this way I’d be expanding my vocabulary.

Once class let out, I walked with a group of friends to the micro stop, chose the correct one, and encountered my biggest difficulty. I could not stand upright on the damn micro for the life of me. I kept lurching and swaying as though I was on the dock of an unsteady ship. No one else on the micro seemed to be having any difficulty which made me feel even more like an uncoordinated schmuck. Then, after about 10 min. I noticed that the bus had both reached, and was about to pull away from, the stop I needed to get off at. I pushed my way through agitated looking Argentine students and pushed the button at the back of the bus, hoping that the driver would stop the bus and let me off. He did stop, and as the bus slowed, everyone standing up turned their head to see who the dipstick was that failed to get off on time. Thank you, Argentina, I’ll be here till December!

After this day of rushing and complications, I just wanted to relax and do some work quietly. In my house, I found Sylvia again and we talked and I made a little after school snack. Then, I worked on my computer, talked to my host mom when she got home and just relaxed. My host mom and Sylvia spent most of the evening cooking for my host brother’s birthday tomorrow. They took a break, ate dinner with me, and then I took my leave and remained in my room for the rest of the night while the rest of the family did their own thing. Tomorrow Universidad Nacional de Cuyo is closed so I don’t have classes, but I do still have classes in the IFSA office until about five. Also, I’m assuming my host family will be doing something for Dan’s birthday (I think? I don’t know if he’s just going to go out with friends or not). See you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment