Sunday, August 14, 2011

Vamos a Shopping!... wait, where'd everybody go?

Today started out quietly enough, but it most definitely did not stay that way! After waking up, I made myself a quick breakfast and then just relaxed on my computer. Everything was tranquil and peaceful for about an hour while my family went to vote and I stayed home. However, once my host mom got home, it was like a bomb exploded in the house. The entire family was having lunch all together at our house, and so once family member started to arrive, things got crazy! Two of my host aunts, two host siblings, four host cousins, a host niece and nephew, host in-laws and half of Mendoza (or so it seemed in our small house) arrived with food and drink for our big dinner. The little kids went crazy running around the house, and everyone was talking loudly and at one another all at the same time. It was madness, but I kind of loved it! All of the talking and sharing that was going on was great, and luckily the IFSA student who lives with my host mom’s sister was there to so that I had someone with whom I could easily talk and share with too.

Lunch was a heartily filling meal of pasta, chicken, and French fries. There were always at least two conversations going on at one time, which was crazy overwhelming because I never knew exactly what one person was talking about, but I was able to chime in every now and then and just enjoy the overall listening as I ate my food. After lunch, the group of us went to “Shopping” which is what they call their mall here. It was a really pretty place which reminded me of Park Meadows and Southglenn Mall put together…except better because they had what looked like a mini-amusement park on the inside for children to ride rides and play games. It was so cute! We stayed in there for a little while whilst the youngsters entertained themselves, then we walked around the entire mall, window shopping, and looking at various bags and shoes. The family has a funny, albeit slightly annoying habit, of just ‘up-and-leaving’ without much warning. The other IFSA kid and I had to laugh about it was one minute the family was looking at a store and then, in the time it took for us to turn our backs for a split second, they were gone, usually leaving one of their own behind as well. I know it sounds dangerous on paper (or computer screen) but it’s actually really funny when you’re there.

After our time in “Shopping” we went to my host cousins apartment, which is literally right across the street from the mall, where we had strawberry smoothies, mate (I was once more educated on proper mate technique and etiquette), and pastries (sooo many pastries). We spent the rest of the day there with the family just talking and having a grand ol’ time. It was actually more overwhelming than lunch because there were four or five conversations at one time and it was impossible to keep up with any one! When the time finally came to leave, we said our goodbyes and then headed home. I had eaten so much today that I decided not to go out with friends for dinner (I wasn’t all that hungry). Instead, I stayed in and prepared myself for the coming week. There appears to be some confusion as to whether I have classes tomorrow, and if I end up not having them that would make a four-day-weekend for Brendan. Can we say, “yes, please!”

No comments:

Post a Comment