Friday, August 12, 2011

Jazz Ballet and the reasons I don't like kids

Last night ended up being later than I anticipated it would be which is why I didn't post anything. Y'all didn't miss out on too much, but I'll get you up to speed. Yesterday started with a quick breakfast and then I was off to Spanish. There, we discussed Michelle Obama, compared her to Hillary Clinton, and discussed conspiracy theories (like the ones surrounding JFK). Kindle-Girl started talking about an episode of Bones that apparently pertained to JFK, which would have been fine (I guess) had she not broken down the entire premise of the story and described the key characters before getting to her point. Most of the class past around 'WTF' looks (which she apparently missed) and I had to avoid making direct eye-contact with many of my fellow classmates for fear of lol-ing. Kindle-Girl: 0, Awkward moments in class: 2.

After Spanish, I headed to Literature with my friends Mariah and Emma. This class wasn't any better than the last one. I only wrote down names, dates, and literature works just so that I could research them later on my own time. It's so overwhelming being in a class and not having any idea if what the teacher is talking about at the time is really important and should be known, or is just some history that she is throwing in as a filler. Thankfully there are 5 of us in that class so we aren't floundering alone. After class, I walked home and hung out there for a while before needing to get out of my house. I called Elizabeth and, she, Kathy, and I went out for hot-dogs before going to a Jazz Ballet performance in the city. We walked into the city before realizing that we would probably have to take a micro (it was pretty far away). While waiting for the micro, they were talking about how Elizabeth got lost on the micro the last time she was on it and how the whole system confuses Kathy. So, why exactly am I about to get on one of these with people again? We got on the micro, and it began taking us back the way we had already came. Good call team! We were going in the right direction so we just chilled out and waited to arrive at a stop close to where we needed to be. After a few minutes, a few more of the Mendoza Crew got onto our bus. They had class from 9:30pm to 10:45pm. Talk about brutal! There is no way I'd be able to do that, but they said that they really enjoyed the class so I guess to each their own.

We got off the bus and walked to the theatre (through a weird part of town that had both a populous park and a sketchy neighborhood). We bought our tickets and waited for the event to start (and we are operating on Argentine time here folks so we were a good 15min behind). The performance over-all wasn't bad. It was about this particular dance troupe's 10yr. journey. Their highs, their lows, and everything in between. They had some really good dancers... and some not so good dancers. A lot of the music that they were dancing to were songs in English and by well known artists like Liza Minnelli Frank Sinatra, Evanescence, and M.I.A. At times it was actually really funny because the words in English did not match what the dancers were doing. I think they were just dancing based on the music, which sort of came into conflict when they were doing a really bouncy hip-hop dance to a song about a woman who couldn’t be everything for her man... awkward. After the performance was over, we caught a micro home and I made it back at about 12:15am making blogging not too high on my list of priorities.

I don't have classes on Friday, so I slept in and then had breakfast, followed by lunch a half-an-hour later. Some of the Mendoza Crew had made plans via Facebook to meet up in El Parque San Martin to play some Ultimate Frisbee so, after my brief siesta (yeah, I know I just woke up, back off) I headed out a bit early so that I could find the rendezvous point. As I said, I was a bit early, so when I got to where I needed to be 15min. in advance I decided that it would be nice to just relax under a tree. I’m pretty sure that during my meditation session with nature, I put my hand in some bird poop. Brendan: 0 Wildlife of Mendoza: 3.

I saw a few of my friends who were going to play Frisbee waiting on the other side of the street so I met up with them while everyone else arrived. Once we had a pretty significant number, we began to search for a place to play. We found a nice field by the building that we have Spanish in and we began warming up by throwing the three Frisbees that we had around. There was a school soccer team playing the next field over and they began doing warm up laps, at one point almost running through our group of 12. They were probably doing it just to be stupid jocks, but a few of us got a little unnerved having a swarm of Argentine soccer players running at us. The highlight of the experience was that Elizabeth threw the Frisbee and it hit one of the soccer players running by. Both South and North American alike got a kick out of that and Elizabeth decided that she should switch positions so that she didn’t hit “the foreigners” again… We then had to point out to her that we, the gringos, were in fact the foreigners, not the native Argentines... (#Whitegirlfail). After warming up and assaulting the natives, we began to play for real. I don’t know who the hell I think I am, but I was running and playing and sweating like I was David-freaking-Beckham! I don’t do the whole “athletic” thing, so 10min. into the game I had to pump my breaks and remind myself that you can’t go from a lazy, barely mobile sloth to a running fiend and still expect to be able to breathe. It doesn’t work that way. However, I did still play with all that I had and it was actually some of the most fun that I’ve had here. I got to know some people in the program better than just the surface-level stuff, and the main point was that I just had a great time! We played for about 2 hours and then decided to call it a day.

 I was starving, so all I wanted to do was go home and eat some of the pasta that we had for lunch. When I got home, I found my host niece and nephew were there. My four(-ish) host niece stood in the door way and wouldn’t move to let me in even after my host mom told her like three times to move (Reason #1 I don’t like kids: that’s not cute girl, move the hell out of my way, I’m hungry). After I finally made it through my 3 foot barricade, my host mom told me that we were all going to go to the market to buy food and such for the house, but my host nephew didn’t want to go, so I stayed home with him. After everyone left, I told him that if he needed anything, just to ask me. He looked at me for a good 10 seconds then turned around and told me that he didn’t need anything. (Reason #2 I don’t like kids: don’t get uppity kid; I was just trying to be nice). After Skype-ing with my family, my host family came home and I’m not sure if there was a mini family episode or not. All I do know is that at one point, my host niece came into my room and kept trying to grasp/close my computer (Reason #3 I don’t like kids: no, really girl, that’s not cute!). She even tried to pry/hit my fingers off my own computer. During this host-uncle-host-niece bonding experience, my host nephew came in with a juice box and just watched the whole thing happen (Reason #4 I don’t like kids: yeah, that’s right kid, keep sucking down apple juice while I struggle with your handsy sister). Finally, everybody left my room and headed to the kitchen while I stayed put and let whatever was going on amongst the adults work itself out. Eventually everybody left and I went to the living room to watch the television. I found this show on Nickelodeon in Spanish about these kids who live in a boarding house and are trying to solve a mystery. It’s terrible, the acting sucks, and I have no idea what’s going on… I love it! A bit later, my host mom told me that she was going to have dinner at one of her daughters’ houses. There was food in the house, so I made myself something to eat and watched some more American television in Spanish.

Tomorrow is Saturday which means another free day for me! No plans as of yet so we’ll see what Mendoza has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment