Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Surely they wouldn't hit a woman of God...

I'm beginning to worry that, as I fall into a routine, I will encounter less and less of the unfamiliar. This is sad for two reasons; 1. is that I never want to stop being surprised by this country. I love constantly being exposed to new things and experiencing different ways of life. 2. is because I know you all only enjoy it when I have some misadventure (be it in a bathroom or otherwise) and share it with you. Seeing as I am such a people pleaser, I try and deliver, but, as I've said, things are beginning to fall into a routine here so I will have to find the comedy elsewhere.

I woke up today knowing that I had nowhere to be until 1:00pm, which is not exactly a motivator. Eventually, I got up and walked to the kitchen. Looking through the window, I could see a woman that I've never seen before working in the back. I've come to realize that random people in the house is a normal occurrence here and to not ask questions, just accept it. I also realize that this is a dangerous mindset to be in and am going to make a conscious effort to not let this transfer back home to the States. After eating breakfast, I prepared my lunch and left for Spanish class. We had a new addition to the class (one of the students re-took the placement test and ended up in our class). It was cool having a new addition to the class, until she whipped out her Kindle on which she downloaded a Spanish-English dictionary. Now every time the professor didn't know how to explain a word to us in Spanish she'd whip that sucker out and punch keys like it was her reason for being. Look girl, no offense, but we were doing just fine before you road in on your Kindle of Knowledge, ok? Maybe she's just excited? Either way, that's got to stop.

It was so hard to concentrate in Spanish today. He kept asking, "Understand?" to which I would respond "Yes, (no) of course (not at all)." After class, I had a good 2 hours to kill before tango. My friends, Mariah and Emily, and I decided that we didn't want to go home so we went to a cafe and had some noms while we waited for time to pass. We discussed politics, perceptions of Americans, and travelling in what was one of the most stimulating conversations I've had. I'm having intellectual conversations over coffee and pastries [
¡el gasp!] I feel so grown-up! Once enough time had passed, we walked to our meeting spot at Universidad de Congresso where we met up with a few more of the Mendoza crew who were taking tango as well. I was originally going to wait for my friend Elizabeth, but she accidentally took the wrong micro and was unable to make the class. Not to worry, because this guy here (pointing to myself) is going to teach her everything that we learned (run Elizabeth, run!). Tango is surprisingly difficult to learn! I thought it was going to be easy to be 'the guy' in the pair because all they do is decide where they go... but that's exactly the hard part! I didn't realize that I had to actually decide, communicate, and then execute the moves all at once! I may, or may not, have run my partners into other couples... multiple times. Oh well, I'm learning, I'll get it.

While walking home, Mariah almost walked headlong into a group of cars but, thanks to yours truly, she lives to see another day. Memo to Mendoza Crew- No seriously... look! It's bordering on dangerous now! Once safely home, I relaxed on my computer and ate dinner. I've been arriving home around 9-9:30pm so it doesn't really leave a lot of time to do much. Tomorrow I have Spanish and Literature again so we'll see how those go!

No comments:

Post a Comment