Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You know it's a dull day when nearly getting hit by a car is the most exciting thing that happens

Today started in true Mendocinian fashion with me waking up at 9:30am, looking at the clock, saying "Screw that" and going back to sleep for another hour. Then, nature called and told me to get my lazy butt out of bed so I obeyed. I relaxed on my computer for a bit trying to finalize course credits and the like and saw that I got an email from the IFSA office saying that I had a package waiting for me. I already knew that it was my retainers (yes, ladies and gentlemen, I forgot the only important piece of orthodontic care that I own. That would be the sound of no one being surprised). After receiving those, I made lunch, talked to my host mom about my plans for the day, and then went to my first Regional Development class. This class is put on by the program and we look at development within nations and as the question, "What really is development?" using multiple countries as examples. It's actually really interesting and the best part is it's close to my house. No 15 minute walks for this one! After class, I did some homework for my literature class which seemed impossible because I was looking for a poem that I had never heard of on Latin American databases that I could barely understand. I was also trying to email some professors about other class credits so this combination was not only lethal, but explosive. Finally, when I felt like I had done all that I could, I elected to go to a cafe with some friends. I told them I'd meet them back in the office because I just wanted to drop off a few things in my back pack so that I wasn't carrying them all over town. On my way back, I guess I looked right, but not left, as I was crossing the street because one minute I'm just sauntering through life, taking my sweet time while crossing the street, and the next I notice a car to my left careening towards me! Something to the effect of  "Oh sh*t" came out of my mouth as I jumped onto the curb. Note to self - don't do that again.

After my near-death episode, I walked with Elizabeth, Megan, and Leah to Clementine, a cute little corner cafe where they seemed to have run out of everything worth having (like medialunas! how the hell do you run out of medialunas!!!). We just sat and talked about our schools before noticing that the table next to us was also full of North Americans. They were speaking English which was actually weird to hear from someone that didn't have an accent or wasn't in our program. We debated the best way to say hi and introduce ourselves, ultimately deciding on not doing anything at all because none of us felt like getting up and walking over. We truly are becoming Argentines. Anyway, the four of us had our final orientation (thank God, those things are so annoying!) and walked to meet up with the larger group that was heading in that direction. On the way there, Elizabeth and I approached a crosswalk and didn't see the light change from red to green, nor did we notice the line of cars heading our way. Only when heard the rush of cars behind us right as we reached the other side of the street did we realize that we had nearly been run down (where did I but that note to myself... I seem to have misplaced it). I really should knock that off. It's not healthy.

Once we had reunited with the group, we headed of the school. This school is different from the other two that we had been to because this one focuses solely on the arts. I will be taking History of Theatre and Tango there so my attendance at this orientation was encouraged. We walked. And walked. And walked. Took a small train. And walked. Rented a burro. And walked some more. This campus was in a completely different part of town! It could not be any more inconvenient if it tried! Once we finally got to the school (after wandering through neighborhoods) we as a lecture on the art of tango, as well as a  mini tango lesson. It was cool and a kinda fun to learn the basic back, forth, left, right moves from two of the foremost tango instructors in the country. After our mini lesson, we trekked back from whence we came discussing how much it sucked to trek back from whence we came.

After finally arriving at home, I chatted with my host mom, comparing notes on our exhausting days. We ate dinner together and then both retreated to either the television or computer for some relaxing.

Goal for tomorrow: Look both ways. Basic, but necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment